Tuesday, September 20, 2011

OUR STORY Part 67: THE IMPACT OF KINDNESS AND CASEY

Well, today was another day of non-stop running around. It was pretty hot and we both had to wear long sleeve heavy t-shirts since we are well past due for our first trip to the laundry mat.

The first stop was to the new Tarrant County Court building in Lake Worth in order to take care of the title and registration paperwork for the trailer. Once that was done it was a trip to Lowe's to get screws to drill into the bumper for the license plate, a longer piece of pipe to use as a breaker bar to release the round bars on the side of the equalizing hitch.

We also needed a 19mm socket for Mike to use with his drill to help with the trailer leveling jacks. Oh my, the torque on our arms with that manual bar is beyond belief. It takes me back to the days when we made homemade ice cream with a manual ice cream crank. Round and round and round...

We were told by Jeremy, the young man who sold us the trailer; a regular drill really wouldn't provide the torque necessary. He also informed us (with a little smile) that after a while we may want to invest in an impact drill to do the job. Mike asked how much one might cost and Jeremy told us he spent a couple hundred dollars on his. Mike said "Ah, no problem, I can handle it with the manual bar." Needless to say a two hundred dollar drill was not in our budget.

Well, after a couple of days of using the manual bar we considered the fun ahead of us with cranking these leveling jacks up and down.

We went to Lowe's and Mike found a young man and asked him where he might find a 19mm socket with a drill head attachment; explaining that we were using it for our trailer. With a smile the young man asked, "for your leveling jacks?"  I responded, "Yep, we're having way too much fun cranking them manually!" The young man began to lead us over to the area where the sockets were located when Mike asked about the price of an impact drill.

That's when the miracle blessing of God took place and the young man said "Ya know, if ya'll are interested I just had a man return an impact drill that is in perfect condition; and I'll give you a deal on it." Mike said "What kind of price are we looking at?" The young man, Casey, then grabbed the Hitachi 18-Volt Cordless Impact Driver in it's case from a locked cabinet under the register and scanned it on their system. He said "The drill lists at $199.00. How 'bout I sell it to you for $50.00? Will that work?" 

Of course, I am now crying and Mike is stunned. Mike then reaches out to shake Casey's hand and says "Thank you very much, what a blessing."

Still taken back by the situation; we turned to each other and said "Did we hear him right?" Sure enough the woman at the register hollers out "OVERRIDE!"; and a manager comes over to reduce the $199.00 rung up on the register to $50.00.

Two days of back to back experiences of young men reaching out to us in kindness; meeting our need to make it through this transition into the trailer. These young men have no idea how much their acts of kindness have impacted my husband and me. Mike is so physically and emotionally exhausted; and we have a much more difficult life ahead of us with life in a trailer, laundry mats, a much smaller frig and living quarters in which to function.

We are both so very grateful for God's grace being extended to us.
1 Corinthians 13
 1Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
 2And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
 3And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
 4Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
 5Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
 6Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
 7Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
 8Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
 9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
 10But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
 11When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
 12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
 13And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

NOT IN A FLOOD ZONE?

GOOD BYE HUMBLE ACRES


Popular Posts